Goals

Today I am sitting down and really thinking through what I want my future to hold. There have been goals that I have been working towards for so many years now, but only half-heartedly.

So, what are my goals?

  1. To eat healthier foods on a more regular basis
  2. To exercise at least 3 times a week
  3. To work on creating something a little every day
  4. To become a mama, but not allow the desire to consume me

Looking at these four goals, they really don’t seem that complex. They are very straight-forward. So why haven’t I been able to reach them?

1. To eat healthier foods on a more regular basis

What does “regular basis” mean? I read an article once on the 80/20 Rule and it has been on my mind since I read it. The basic idea is to focus on “eating clean, good-for-you foods” 80% of the time. The other 20%, you get to give yourself a little leeway. If I had to calculate it right now, I’d say that I am good about 10% of the time, so definitely way off! But with this idea in mind, that means that out of the 21 meals a week (3 meals a day for 7 days), I have 3 meals that I can allow myself to be more flexible with.

My first step that I want to take towards reaching this goal is to start focusing on portion sizes and drinking water with my meals instead of my typical soda.

2. To exercise at least 3 times a week

I tend to get a little carried away when it comes to exercise…What I mean by that is that I kind of go all or nothing! When I do manage to make it to the gym, I will spend an hour and a half to two hours really pushing myself. I’ll do this for 2-3 days in a row and wind up wearing myself out and convincing myself that I deserve a break since I worked so hard. Then, as I start my “break” I start feeling the effects set in…the soreness. So I take a few more days off to recuperate. These days lead to weeks, and before I know it, I haven’t gone to the gym in over a month! So, how can I build consistency? I’ve tried setting goals, I’ve tried having a reward system, I’ve tried scheduling it on my calendar. They all work for a few days or even weeks, but then it’s back to the same circle again.

My first steps that I want to take towards reaching this goal are to start incorporating 2 strength training exercises per day for 3 days a week and walking with my husband and puppies for at least 30 minutes 3 days a week.

3. To work on creating something a little every day

I don’t really struggle too much with this goal. I thoroughly enjoy sewing and crocheting, so it isn’t difficult for me to grab a project and work on it while hanging out with the hubs on the couch! I just don’t want to lose sight of this joy, so that’s why I still put it on my list.

My step towards ensuring a maintain where I am on this goal is to keep my projects accessible. When I pack everything up, I tend to not want to “go through the hassle” of setting things up to work on them.

4. To become a mama, but not allow the desire to consume me

We have been trying to start our little family since 2008. We have been through ups and downs, had fertility treatments, acupuncture, the works! Along the way, we also lost sight of our faith and each other. We were fortunate because there was a moment in our struggle that snapped us back to reality, and God was able to heal the hurts we had caused each other and help get us set back on the path with Him as our guide. I know the first part of this goal is totally out of my hands, but I also fully believe that God has a beautiful future planned for us! So, this goal will hang out on this list until God either completes it or leads me to know that it is time to let it fall off.

My step towards keeping my focus on God during this process is to read more – more books, more devotionals, more of the Bible. In practical terms, right now I am reading “Reshaping It All” by Candace Cameron Bure and “Beauty Begins: Making Peace with Your Reflection” by Chris Shook and Megan Shook Alpha and I’m working through a Bible Study by Love God Greatly called “Broken and Redeemed

Enough about me…what about you? What are your goals? What is a practical first step that you are going to take right now to start working towards reaching each of them?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s